Monday, May 23, 2011

Haiti



With a pretty open month of May, one of the things I was able to do was help with our site in Haiti. Jeff Vandermolen and Brian Veen have been doing the majority of work with team hosting and site planning. We had back to back teams where Brian was already in Haiti so I was able to help out by hosting the team in Jarabacoa for a night and then taking them over on a big Caribe Tours bus the next day. I then stayed on for a few days and worked with them and got to know some of the kids. I only had time to load 3 pictures, but there are a few more on my facebook page. Our site is really moving a long there! We have 90 kids living in homes in the community and it will be exciting when they are all moved onto our residential site! We helped pour the foundation for the 2nd house. The kids that were mulling around were awesome and really really not used to seeing Americans. This little girl was my favorite (even though there was one point where she got behind a pile of dirt and just took a little bathroom break about 20 feet away from everyone!). I was a bit caught off guard that these kids literally had the same clothes on all week. It was definitely different than the poverty I'm "used to" here in the DR.

No comments:

Post a Comment