Thursday, November 12, 2009

Dominican Softball

One of the highlights and unexpected treats of living here has been playing on a fast-pitch softball team in Constanza. When I first heard about the possibility of joining this team I didn't know what to expect at all...I thought it would be very similar to slow-pitch chicago style softball with old men. I was very pleasantly surprised at how similar it is to baseball and at the level of competition. Alfredo connected me with the team as he also plays on it and it is made up of players from several churches in the area. The coach has really taken me under his wing and helped me out a ton and I have really really enjoyed getting to know the guys on the team.

It is a very very strange and new feeling for me to be heckled after EVERY play. I am one of maybe 6 total North Americans in the city and they definitely remind me. I hear "Americano" yelled out during the whole game no matter what is happening! It is fun though because I will have a few fans and people who try to talk to me in English as I'm walking up to the plate with phrases like "howdy my friend." Luckily it hasn't been too bad since I have played pretty well, but as soon as I start playing bad it could get ugly real fast! The environment is amazing...the town loves to come and watch the game and there are always people lining the fences at the street and out past the fences in the outfield. There is usually a decent crowd in the stands as well, and almost every game has an announcer who does more of a play-by-play than in the US, it is fun to listen to.

Now on to the important stuff...I am playing right field which I have come to love. Now, I can't really ever remember a time in my baseball career where I was an outfielder but it has been an interesting transition. It is much easier for me to hit in this type of league where the pitching is more similar to a baseball trajectory than the huge arching lob of chicago style softball. First double-header I was 3-6, next game 3-4, and then last night 4-6 including a 2 RBI single that put us up by 1 in the last inning after trailing by 9 heading into the inning! It was an adventure though as an error by me in the bottom of the inning tied the game back up...I am still getting used to the very unlevel outfields! Hope you wanted to hear the details....

I haven't been able to get any pictures or video of me yet, but I took a video of the surroundings of the game before ours last night to give a feel of the league. I am hoping to get some video/pictures in action at this Sunday's game. This has been so huge for me to be able to keep my competitive side entertained while I am here!


1 comment:

  1. Anyone yelled out, "Hey, Granpa!" Just wondering. Good to hear how things are going. We're praying for you, man.

    ReplyDelete