Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My First Dominican Wedding

One of the casualties from my parent's trip to visit me was the memory card from my camera! So for about 2 weeks I was without a camera, until my mom sent another one with the baseball team. Unfortunately, this wedding was one of the things I didn't have my camera for, but there are still some interesting observations from my first wedding here in the DR.

-Obviously the wedding didn't start until after 8 pm, when it was scheduled to start at 6. I knew that this would happen, but I still couldn't come any later than 6:10...

-The ceremony and reception were actually much shorter than I expected. There was no dancing, and I think that was a big reason why it was so short. The food was great and the cake was fantastic.

-One funny story. I have learned to enter into activities like this with absolutely zero expectations, because you just never know what will happen. So about halfway through the ceremony, a lady that I had never met before came up to me and started talking. She told me that she needed to watch her 3 year old and asked if I could video tape for her. I assumed she meant just for a short part of the ceremony...but it ended up being probably 45 minutes to an hour, with her standing next to me for the majority telling me exactly what to record. At one point she had me walk all the way up in front of everybody to get the best possible angle and close up for her camera...needless to say I was slightly uncomfortable walking in front of everyone as the only Gringo there.

It was a great experience and I had a great time connecting with some other Christian Dominicans my own age. Sorry for the lack of pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Still so thankful that a virus DID NOT eat all my photos on my camera card. They are priceless! We LOVED our trip and seeing you in your "habitat"

    ReplyDelete